Sunday, June 27, 2010

The hardship of labor on a global scale

It is crazy to believe how hard people of other regions and ethnic backgrounds have it when it comes to finding jobs and work that we Americans take for granted. Kirshners piece showed her struggles in life when it came to working and being able to provide her labor for money. When I think about my life in comparison to hers it amazes me how fortunate I am to be a US born citizen who is also a white male. I have always had well-paying jobs and internships in which I could go out and spend my money on attractive things such as a nice car or even a flat screen tv. Most of my jobs were offered to me directly after and interview and I never had to worry about being fired because I knew I could easily find another job somewhere else. However, not all are as fortunate as me.

Kirshner really touched my heart when she spoke of her struggles and stated, “poor, illegal, surrounded by gangs, with a boyfriend who writes to her from prison. Unable to cross into Mexico even to touch her mother’s hands, even for a funeral” (I Live Here). This was unreal to me and I could not imagine feeling this way. It really makes you wonder how these people are able to stay positive and make it in this crazy world that we take advantage of. The hardships in this piece really gave me insight as to why some people never leave the ghettos and projects in major cities. They do not have the ability to readily find jobs like I do. I used to say it was their own faults that they are "low-lifes" and "bums", but I am sure there is more to it than what meets the eye and Kirshner shows this.

We all really need to take a step back and appreciate what we have going for ourselves. I know many of those who read this blog go to Miami or another great school. I am also sure that not many of you have gotten where you are by coming from a tough life like the one Kirshner speaks of. We all need to be thankful that we were lucky to be born into a great land and a great life compared to others in this world. Many of us have been handed more than some less fortunate people will ever have the opportunity to have and we will take it for granted. How sad is that? How said is it that we don't appreciate the things that some might die for to have? I only hope that one day this world becomes so globalized that all playing fields are leveled out and everyone has a fair chance at success.

2 comments:

  1. Hi joe,
    I agree with your post wholeheartedly. It is hard for us in America to understand the plights of people who are disadvantaged in other countries. We are born with the proverbial silver spoon in our mouths, even if we are from a low income family. People in America come from all economic classes, but none can share in the hardships faced by those living in third world countries. I am constantly reminded of the greatness of our country when, like you said, I am able to use my paycheck to not only pay the bills, but also to afford certain luxuries that others could never reach. We here in America may need to rethink our views on philanthropy. Many people will say things lke " I don't make enough money to donate to charity", but in fact, they do. Think of how many people could be helped if everyone in America ate 1 less fast food meal a week. It's Insane!!!
    I can only imagine what would happen if everyone in America gave just three dollars a week to charity. It would be so insignificant to us, yet so significant to those less fortunate than us. I liked your post a lot, it made me think a little more about how blessed we really are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe & Mindi,
    Also, because you missed our class discussion, keep in mind that the I Live Here piece tells "a single story" only for the purpose of raising money for local activist projects. Watch the Adichie video that details the dangers of a "single story." I think keeping this concept in mind (that there are local and grassroots activism already happening and that we needn't simply swoop in and save them) would nuance and complicate your discussion in fascinating ways. In fact, Joe: you have talked about this concept over and over. It isn't about doing nothing. Instead, Adichie asks us to first dig deep and see what is already happening and how the story of Malawi or Ciudad Juarez that the I Live Here project puts forward is just ONE of many stories.

    ReplyDelete